We know that it might be confusing and complicated on the housing market – whether you are a landlord or a tenant. It shouldn’t be like that. That’s why, we want to make it easier for you, so that more people can share. Below we have collected some frequently asked questions and answers.

How do I register?

You register directly on our website by clicking one of the buttons “I want to rent” or “I want to rent out”. Then you will immediately get a few questions to answer about yourself and your wishes about your future tenant or landlord.

How does the matching works?

We believe in matching people with people. Based on the information you provide in the registration form, we do our best to find a tenant or landlord who would suit you. The match takes into account “hard” requirements such as rental levels, commuting times and language skills. In addition, we add personal aspects, such as interests and lifestyle. This is something we do in order to be able to take into account the little extra, that usually helps you be yourself at home.

It is important that both tenant and landlord have the same expectations on the shared accommodation. It’s not wrong to want to have a social interaction with your tenant/landlord, for example have dinner together sometimes. It is also not wrong if you prefer not to have any social interaction. However, it will be wrong if you have different expectations. By being matched you save time in your search for a tenant / landlord, increase your privacy and increase the chances of a comfortable shared accommodation.

Who may rent out?

Anyone with a spare room or suitable extra space in their home may rent out. We do not provide any sublets, it must be an area connected to your own permanent residence. In order to respect both your and your tenant’s privacy, there must be a separate room for the tenant with a possibility of closing a door.

We do not recommend renting out if your home has less than two bedrooms, for both to have separate bedrooms. You also have to approve our Terms of Use and Comfort Rules before a tenant can move in.

Who may rent?

If you are a student above 18 years of age and study at least 50% of the time you may register. You must also approve our Terms of Use and Comfort Rules when signing the contract. Everything then depends on the magic matching and if there is a landlord that matches your requirements and wishes.

Why do I have to be student to rent?

Students are amongst those who are most affected by the housing shortage. This causes stress and anxiety. As a student, the economy is usually not at its peak and to compete with everyone else in the housing jungle is almost impossible. At the same time, a safe home is important for everyone to get access to good education. No one should have to decline their dream education due to lack of housing. That’s why we care so much about the students.

How about subletting?

Ett tak is not a service that offers or mediates subletting. We believe in sharing. This means that the person who wants to rent out a room must live in the home during most of the rental period. You may call it having a lodger, roomie or tenant…

However, the shared accommodation may look different in different cases. It can be a room in your home, a separate part of your house (eg a floor in a villa), or maybe an “ Attefall house” (separate little house) in your garden. Ask us if you are uncertain!

Why can't I see any pictures of vacant homes?

We believe that the most important thing when sharing is not what the home looks like, but what the other person is like. We want to create security and trust by adding parameters other than images. During the first meeting or after the meeting, you can ask the landlord for pictures if it’s still important for you to feel safe.

What's a reasonable monthly rent?

Since all our tenants are students, the rent should be adapted accordingly. Make sure that the rent is set to suit a student’s finances. You can read more about rental levels for different types of housing in the recommendations by the student organization (SSCO) here.

If you want to rent out but are a bit uncertain about the rent, we will be happy to help! Make a note that you want help with the rent when you register, and we will give you a proposal for a reasonable rental level.

Can my tenant register at my adress?

You as a landlord are not affected by the fact that someone else is registered at your address. You don’t need to be afraid that your membership in the BRF “tenant-owner association” will deteriorate, that you risk losing your first-hand contract with your landlord or the like. The public register is only a tax registration for the person who is to live in your home. Read more on Boupplysningen’s website.

Do I have to pay taxes on my rental income?

You can make a standard deduction of SEK 40,000 per year regardless of the type of housing, i.e. you are allowed to rent out for SEK 40,000 per year tax-free. If your rent income is more than 40,000 SEK for one year, the surplus is taxed at a tax rate of 30% as income from capital. We can help you with a tax base for your declaration. Read more on the Swedish Tax Agency’s website

May I rent out if I have a housing supplement (bostadstillägg)?

If you have a tenant renting part of your home, only your part of the accommodation costs will form the basis for the calculation of the housing supplement. Unfortunately, this means that there is a risk that the housing supplement will be reduced or completely discontinued. Read more on Boupplysningen’s website.

Can’t find an answer to your question? Contact us in the chat (pink circle down to the right) and we will answer as soon as we can! You can also send your question via e-mail to hej@etttak.se